Skip to main content

BIAM Worksheets from Writers Digest

Personal questions or chats can be sent to

workshop ink in the book at g mail dot com  (no spaces, of course!)

If you downloaded the worksheets from Writers Digest that I recommended, here's some tips for getting the most use out of them!

The first set of worksheets contain information you'll need for the THREE ACT STRUCTURE.
This technique divides the book into three sections and each section had a specific goal for you as the writer to help you plan your outline or panster writing!

Whether you write with a detailed outline, or simply sit down and write your story free hand, these worksheets may help you keep your thoughts together.

The first set of sheets is a story tracker. You can break each ACT down into character, main plot, subplot, setting, and one space for "other" which you can use for props, dialogue, minor characters, inner journey, just whatever you need!

Second set of of sheets is great for time keeping. You can record hours spent writing, word count, inspirational ideas (I put these in the "miscellaneous" section) and even write down things that distracted you.

Remember in yesterdays lesson, I mentioned the MC, and every character, needs a goal or obstacle to over come in EVERY scene? I use the GOAL TRACKER sheet to help me keep those goals, conflicts and tension elements in view at all times during my writing.

I'm skipping over the STORY IDEA MAP for now. There are a lot of things to discuss when using this sheet and I have a whole lesson designed for this section! I'll be posting it over the weekend.

But last, for today, I wanted to talk about the scene worksheets. Remember how we discussed the index cards and how to use them to plot of your scenes? I  mush prefer this method over the SCENE CARDS worksheets because if I add a scene, or need to remove a scene, it's much easier to change an index card instead of trying to erase a page. But you can use these worksheets to get a broad idea of how your story will proceed on a broad scale. Kinda like the big picture you know?

Okay, more on the worksheets later!
Keep writing. Just keep writing, writing, writing!

Comments

  1. I like using index cards too and plan to do this as I work through my revision to help me visualize scenes and moments better. Good suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! How's things going? I wish you the best on your revisions.
      I should be writing, but I needed a break. My thoughts are getting jumbled!

      Delete
    2. Yeah sometimes a break is in order! I've hooked up with a group participating in NaNoReviMo and along with your helpful posts, I'm trucking through revisions. :)

      Delete
  2. Is there a link to the worksheets?
    Thanks,
    Kathleen S. Allen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep!! Here ya go!

      http://www.writersdigest.com/writing-articles/by-writing-goal/write-first-chapter-get-started/novel-in-30-days-2011

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writer In Motion CP feedback

Hey beautiful guys and dolls! Here it is! My CP feedback edited story. Had a hard time with this, but I hope it makes sense. I've got a post I'm working on I plan to put up after Thanksgiving. Here ya go. Enjoy... Every morning I wake to carnival day.  Today, though, I have my key. If I don’t use it before midnight, my way of escape will gone. It’s a silver key with a twisted metal handle, a sapphire stone half moon and engraved stars. There’s a tiny inscription on the moon, but it’s so small, I’ve never been able to read it.I’ve always kept mine in my jewelry box, but today, I string it on a ribbon and tie it around my neck. My two best friends will be wearing theirs, too, and I wonder how they will escape this carnival of dreams. “What’s it for?” Cress asks as we stand in line for the swings. I run my fingertips over the entire silver surface. “I don’t know. It belonged to my grandmother,” I say. “Whatever.” She shrugs her shoulder in a dismissive way. “Have

Insecure Writers Group

Today, my feelings are mixed. On one hand, I've faced more rejection and that's not easy to write about or admit to the world. But I am not crying in my "milk" (no beer, folks:) I want to, but what good would it do??? I received a detailed critique from a "Best First Line" contest. The critique was the best I have ever received and seriously opened my eyes to "how" to improve my writing. Nice! Speaking of critiques, I am still looking for a critique partner. If anyone is looking back, please let me know and we can swap info. I'm sending off a YA query letter and first pages to 3 agents this week. Wish me luck. This will be the first time I have directly contacted and agent with a query. Yes, I'm nervous, so I'm saying again, WISH ME LUCK!!!

Operation Agent Ink

UPDATE: PLEASE FILL OUT THIS QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER YOU SIGN UP. Have you ever wondered what agents were dying to find in their inbox/slush pile? There have been many times I entered a contest and not even received a comment, not even from one of the agents. Or maybe the agent was kind enough to leave a comment that simply said, "Sorry, this just isn't what I'm looking for, but I love the premise and your voice." I always walk away feeling unsatisfied. If I had known exactly what the agent wanted beyond, "YA" or "Fantasy" I might not have even entered a contest I knew I wouldn't win! Even more, I wasted a very busy agents time! Well, your time of guessing is up! OPERATION AGENT INK to the rescue! That's right! This workshop will help aspiring authors get on the list of an agent's WISH LIST! When the workshop is over, your manuscript will be ready to view by a group of AMAZING agents who are dying to see what you've wri